Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Home Depot

This is a true story regarding my interaction with an employee at the ProDesk with whom I have placed several orders.

I ordered 10 bags of grout in Oyster Grey.
An hour before I had planned to pick them up, I get a call from the Home Depot employee.
He says, "Your concern about the actual quantity in stock was valid, we only have 7 bags of Oyster Grey even though the computer shows 14."
I say, "O.K. when is the next shipment expected to arrive?"
He looks at his computer and can't really tell but thinks it will be two weeks.
I tell him, "We are supposed to be completed with the project before then. Can we verify with the expediter (people in charge of orders) or see if we can locate the missing inventory?"
He says a bunch of stuff, then he offers, "Would you like to substitute a similar color for the remaining 3 bags and then just mix them together?"

My jaw dropped.
"No." I say firmly.
He says, "Oh."
I tell him, "That is like having your client pick out yellow for their paint color and then mixing a little orange into it because you didn't have enough paint. That is completely unacceptable and I would never do that with a client."

When we arrived at the store, we found another bag of Oyster Grey so now we are only 2 bags short, which are on order. Hopefully we will not need the extra bags and can complete the project on time.

I never could figure out if he realized how stupid his suggestion was or if he truly didn't understand why you can't just mix in another color. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment